Did you know that Placer County has added free monthly household hazardous waste drop off days? Since February 2015 Tahoe and Truckee residents (along with the rest of Placer County) have been able to drop off their household hazardous waste on every third Saturday of the month at the Eastern Regional Landfill and Materials Recovery Facility at 900 Cabin Creek Road in Truckee, CA. The third Saturday of each month, the ERLMR is open 8am-4pm.
(Businesses may also dispose of these hazardous wastes, but must call ahead for an appointment and there is a fee.)
What Household Hazardous Waste items do they accept?
- Paint, varnish, paint thinners, solvents
- Motor oil and oil filters
- Brake, transmission, antifreeze, gasoline, and power steering fluids
- Fluorescent light bulbs, compact fluorescent bulbs
- Herbicides, pesticides
- Compressed gas cylinders (no more than 5 gals)
- Batteries, both household and vehicle
- Medications (no class C) and “sharps” (needles, syringes, and lancets) in rigid containers
What Household Hazardous Waste items are NOT accepted?
- Ammunition, explosives, radioactive materials
- Medical waste (sharps ok), Class C drugs
For a complete list check the Placer County website, or call Michelle White at 530-886-4923 if you have further questions.